- Dec 15, 2021
- by aziz sukhyani
When it comes to cleaning the 14k gold rope chain, the simplest method with the least ingredients is always the safest. While 14k gold rope chains are not as difficult to maintain as silver, over time, this gold rope chain can lose its luster and become dull too because of dirt and grime build-up on the chain, contributed by makeup body lotions, body oils, and other pollutants.
However, it is not too difficult to clean a 14k gold rope chain and restore its shine. Also, cleaning it is quite straightforward because it does not contain any gemstones or other components.
There are a few more specific ways to clean a 14k gold rope chain, depending on its qualities. So, let’s review how to clean them.
Methods to Clean a 14k Gold Rope Chain
Rinsing a 14k gold rope chain with warm water helps to get off the discoloration from the chain, and it will help remove any form of build-up or grime from the chain. So, to clean your 14k gold rope chain with warm water, follow these steps:
- Firstly, fill a bowl with warm water. Note that the water should not be moderate or lukewarm.
- Now, add 2-3 drops of dishwashing soap or detergent to the water bowl.
- After mixing the soap with water, dip the 14k gold rope chain into it.
- Let the 14k gold rope chain soak in the bowl for 4 to 5 minutes, and then start rubbing it gently with your fingers, or for better cleaning, use a toothbrush instead.
- Now, take the 14k gold rope chain out and dry it with a soft cotton cloth.
In this way, it’s easy for you to clean your 14k gold rope chain without hassle.
Machine cleaning of a 14k gold rope chain is required if hand washing does not yield the desired results. Automatic cleaning equipment like ultrasonic cleaners is easily available at jewelry stores. These products generally come with a cleaning liquid that you can use both with the machine and without it. Other machine cleaning methods include steam cleaners and ionic cleaners, which you can purchase online.
Baking soda with dishwashing soap is another way to remove the 14k gold rope chain build-up.
- Start with pouring one and a half cups of normal water into the bowl.
- Then, mix a teaspoon of baking soda into the bowl well.
- After that, add one teaspoon of any dishwashing soap to the bowl.
- Now, thoroughly mix all the ingredients until a good paste or a fully combined mixture is ready.
- Take your 14k gold rope chain and put it in the bowl for at least 20 minutes.
- Scrub the chain very gently with a new toothbrush.
- And finally, rinse it with water and then pat dry it.
Alcohol does not damage any original gold jewelry; that’s why alcohol is safe to use your pure 14k gold rope chain to clean it. But still, it’s essential to ensure that there is no embellishment of pearls, gemstones, and opals on your 14k gold rope chain.
To clean your 14k gold rope chain with alcohol, follow these steps one by one:
- Take a clean bowl and carefully keep your chain in it.
- Now, pour 91% isopropyl alcohol into the bowl with your 14k gold rope chain.
- Use a soft cotton pad to clean the chain gently for 3-5 minutes.
- Let the chain remain in the bowl of alcohol overnight.
- Next morning, take your 14k gold rope chain out, dry it completely, polish it with a lint-free cloth.
Another popular method to clean your 14k gold rope chain is a vinegar bath. However, this way has more of a potent smell, as you can imagine. If you don’t have a few hours to spare for cleaning your 14k gold rope chain, this method is quicker than the soap bath. Place your 14k gold rope chain into a bowl of vinegar for 10 to 15 minutes, turning it every few minutes. Then, use a soft toothbrush or cloth to wipe away any remaining dirt and finally rinse with water to remove the smell.
Hazards to Avoid When Cleaning 14k Gold Rope Chain
Because of the 14k gold rope chain’s high chance of tarnish, there are a few specific substances to avoid as it’s always better safe than sorry!
- Soap – With unknown ingredients, steer clear of any soap. Basic blue dawn dish soap can work fine, but to avoid accumulating a film from other body washes, remove your 14k gold rope chain before showering.
- Chlorine – Chlorine is very dangerous for a 14k gold rope chain and can permanently damage or discolor it, especially at high temperatures like in a hot tub.
Other Cleaning Tips for 14k Gold Rope Chain
Some additional tips for cleaning and taking care of your 14k gold rope chains are:
- Never use harsh chemicals: like chlorine, acetone, bleach, nail polish remover, or detergent with abrasive chemicals.
- Only clean with soap as required: Don’t overdo your 14k gold rope chain with the soap. Clean your 14k gold rope chain with soap only if needed when it’s visibly dirty or gathering a patina. If you keep up with regular cleaning, you won’t require soap on your 14k gold rope chains as often.
- Clean your 14k gold rope chain often: Whenever your 14k gold rope chain is exposed to perfume, lotion, sweat, sand, dust, and more—clean it. Regular cleaning using just water and a soft brush can save time in the long run when sustaining the shine of the 14k gold rope chain.
So, now the question is, how often should you clean gold jewelry? Many jewelers recommend cleaning it at least once a month.
- Don’t go for rough cloths or brushes: No matter how dirty your 14k gold rope chain is, if you don’t have the proper equipment, wait to clean it until you do. Avoid using chemicals you’re uncertain about, and always follow the gold jewelry cleaning guidelines to prevent damage to gold chain links.
- Don’t count on ultrasonic cleaners: Stop throwing your 14k gold rope chain in an ultrasonic cleaner—this doesn’t always work thoroughly.
- Store your 14k gold rope chain appropriately: properly storing your 14k gold rope chain will prevent it from losing its shine when you’re not wearing it.
- Store all your gold chains separately: It helps prevent gold chains from tangling or scratching each other.
- Schedule a yearly cleaning: All the above tips are great for regular cleaning and caring for your fine gold jewelry at home. But still, it is necessary to have your 14k gold rope chain professionally cleaned every six months for preventative care. Expert Jewelers at GlobalWatches10 can check for loose tangles, prongs, and other damage. So, visit them annually so that you don’t end up breaking your 14k gold rope chain while cleaning it.
Contact GlobalWatches10 for Best Cleaning and Other Services of your 14k Gold Rope Chain
While the methods described above are some of the best ways to clean your 14k gold rope chain, still, for professional cleaning, there’s no substitute for visiting a jeweler.At GlobalWatches10, our expert jewelers know the proper procedures depending on the specific type of gemstone and metal and check your 14k gold rope chain over for any damage. We always recommend a semi-annual visit to maintain your jewelry well. So, contact us today!